To promote access and awareness to polar activities
The Swiss Polar Institute was created to provide services to and promote synergies within the polar community in Switzerland.
The tasks of the SPI are to:
- Create synergies between Swiss research actors active in polar and extreme environments
- Implement interdisciplinary projects and funding schemes to support Swiss polar researchers
- Facilitate access of Swiss actors to international research programmes and research facilities in polar regions
- Promote public awareness of research in the polar regions and Extreme Environments
- Be a Swiss voice in polar policy
The Swiss Polar Institute (SPI) was founded by :
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL), acting as Leading House
- Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research (WSL),
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich (ETH)
- University of Bern (UniBe)
- Editions Paulsen
Placed under the patronage of the Swiss State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI), the SPI is a Swiss initiative to study the Earth’s poles and extreme environments.
Swiss academic institutions and actors who would be interested in becoming members of the Swiss Polar Institute are encouraged to contact the SPI Secretariat for details on the membership structure and fees.